|KEYWORDS:||training and networking, events, startup, promotion of entrepreneurship, incubator coworking spaces|
|DURATION:||November 2011, active|
|INDICATIVE COST:||share capital: € 1.239.498|
|FUNDING:||regional and private|
|FOCUS:||digital enterprises, digital start ups|
|TREATABIT is an incubation program targeted to new media entrepreneurs and based on the lean startup model. It has been developed by I3P, the Innovative Enterprise Incubator of the Polytechnic of Turin . TREATABIT is a “gym”, a physical and virtual space where students, researchers and entrepreneurs with a business idea related to the Internet can meet, begin to develop, build an initial user base, with the aim to verify if it works. TREATABIT offers consulting services, as co-working space, networking events with the aim of supporting the creation of aspiring startups, their application development team, the acquisition of entrepreneurial skills and research funding and supports start-ups in developing business ideas and related business plans.
TREATABIT is devoted to digital projects not only to videogame, but some videogame developer in incubated.
Relevant local and national partnerships are one of TREATBIT strengths. Among these:
• Microsoft® BizSpark® is a global program that helps software startups succeed by giving them access to software development tools, connecting them with key industry players, and providing marketing visibility.
• Startup Revolutionary Road, an initiative designed to offer concrete opportunities for young entrepreneurs in Italy to create new startup through technical and business training and mentorship. It is co-funded by Microsoft and Fondazione Cariplo and coordinated by Fondazione Filarete.
• Starbytes, the online crowd sourcing platform developed by Reply, allows freelance and ICT professional to get in contact with people that need a creative work or design and development services
• Faber Meeting (www.fabermmeting.com), View conference (www.viewconference.it), creative events in Piemonte
• Nexa Research Center for Internet and Society (http://nexa.polito.it)
• supporting the creation of aspiring startups, their application development team, the acquisition of entrepreneurial skills and research funding
• offering free-of-charge services as coworking spaces
|MAIN NEEDS MET by the GP
CLUSTERING & INCUBATION
• pre-incubator/ promotion of start-up in the digital field
• co-working spaces and business services
BUSINESS ENTREPRENEURIAL SUPPORT
• young entrepreneur training & coaching in the digital field
NETWORKING & CLUSTERING
• networking, clustering e business support
• meeting with stakeholders
• facilitation of meeting with venture capital and funding
|TRANSFERABILITY AND SUCCESS FACTORS
TREATABIT is a significant action to promote and help young talents working on the web, some of which are already working on mobile videogame, so the existing incubator could be a starting point also to promote videogames.
During the first 20 months of activity, TREATBIT has supported over 90 digital projects. Over 50% of these projects have succeeded in launching their online service. 20 of these projects have established a startup.
TREATBIT is effective because it acts in an even earlier stage of incubation and is useful because it is giving knowledge on entrepreneurship in a context such as University that are often too much theoretical. TREATBIT could be easily transferred in a context where there are numerous courses of university courses in this topics, such as digital creativity and video games and where there is an incubation system connected to the University already active. TREATBIT would be perfect to be transferred into a context where there are Universities and incubators linking to the business community.
“The job is to help entrepreneurs in the web to transform ideas into businesses. TreataBit is a branch of the incubator of the Polytechnic of Turin, I3P, dedicated to innovative digital projects. Entrepreneurs - most of them young, the average age is 28 years - free of charge are followed throughout the project to create the company. After the selection, began a period of 9 months in which entrepreneurs develop together with us a business model and a business plan, create a prototype to be put online, and finally, in the end, to the digital platform real. In the digital industry you have to be extremely fast, otherwise someone may come up your own idea or risk losing the right time in which your product will work, because in a year may already be old. Our goal is just to speed up the evaluation phase of a project, which usually can last six to nine months.” Massimiliano Ceaglio, I3P, the Innovative Enterprise Incubator of the Polytechnic of Turin
OWNER OF THE PRACTICE: I3P, the Innovative Enterprise Incubator of the Polytechnic of Turin
REFERENCE PERSON: Massimiliano Ceaglio, firstname.lastname@example.org
WEBSITE: www.treatabit.com, www.facebook.com/Treatabit