|FROM:||Salzburg Region, AT|
|KEYWORDS:||education, university program, technology transfer, interdisciplinary, serious games, game design, a|
|DURATION:||2012 – still active|
|INDICATIVE COST:||Staff cost|
|FUNDING:||regional and national funds|
|Mediacube is an interdisciplinary university program oriented on interdisciplinary and cooperation projects between designers and technicians in the field of games design and development as well as media design and web development. In mixed project groups, students practice the teamwork of the multimedia industry. Courses shared by students from both departments provide creative exchange and mutual inspiration. The results are technically and creatively ambitious media projects such as computer games, installations, apps or augmented reality applications. Internationally renowned artists, scientist and technologists are invited as guest professors to give expert input.
With the departments of MultiMedia Art and Multimedia Technology, the Salzburg University of Applied Sciences, is one of the leading universities for media and design in Austria. The departments are closely connected in an interdisciplinary education model. While MultiMedia Art offers a curriculum with a strong focus on media design, computer animation, film and audio, MultiMedia Technology offers a computer science curriculum emphasizing on web and game development, graphical simulation and augmented reality.
A particular focus is on cooperation between games and other fields, such as health, education, arts and culture, in order to create serious and applied games.
• meet the change in business needs and demands in the digital gaming field by creating innovative and interdisciplinary study programs
• fostering interregional and international cooperation in education and research
• developing university-based science parks
• reinforcing common scientific infrastructure
• developing a competence centre as a key tool for competitive improvement in businesses
|MAIN NEEDS MET by the GP
R&D, EDUCATION AND TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER:
• tackle the skill shortage in the digital game sector & train professionals who meet the labor market requests (expertise, competences, attitude to cross-sector team work)
• technology transfer and access to innovation in the game sector
BUSINESS, ENTREPRENEURIAL SUPPORT:
• networking/matchmaking professionals among each other
• entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary training in the digital game sector
• cross sector development of the gam
|TRANSFERABILITY AND SUCCESS FACTORS
MEDIACUBE is the only interdisciplinary and project oriented programs of this kind, combining research and education in creating innovative gaming projects.
The success factors are given by the fusion of the two study programs that were separated and interdisciplinarity is the main strength, because in this way is possible to create different team according to the expertise. The project is at the beginning but it is a way for the university to enter more and more into the gaming industry.
A low cost of implementation is another relevant issue for transferability.
“Representatives from the critical areas needed for making serious games for health are located at the FHS. It offers study in multimedia technology, multimedia art, and product management and design. On the health side, they also offer degrees in areas such as nursing, social work, physical therapy
OWNER OF THE PRACTICE: University of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschule Salzburg),
REFERENCE PERSONS: Martin Ortner, email@example.com, Bianca Petscher, firstname.lastname@example.org
WEBSITE(s): www.mediacube.at, www.fh-salzburg.ac.at